For the University of Reading
Successful candidates will need to meet the entry requirements of both the school and the training institute:-
- Candidates should normally have at least a 2:2 honours degree in a subject that is closely related to the subject they intend to teach.
- Entry requirements: Normally a 2.2 undergraduate degree in a subject that is closely related to the subject you intend to teach.
- IELTS: 6.5 overall with no element less than 6.0 if English is not your native language.
- You will need to have achieved Grade 4 (or C) or above in GCSE Mathematics and English Language or equivalent qualifications.
- You will also need to demonstrate competence in Fundamental English and Mathematics by the end of the course. This is a new Department for Education requirement which replaces the QTS skills tests in literacy and numeracy.
- Once an offer is accepted candidates will also be required to successfully complete Occupational Health and Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure checks.
Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE)
Reading University may make completing a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course a condition of your offer. This is most likely to be recommended in the following situations:
a) you completed your degree a long time ago, and we think you would benefit from a refresher of the key information.
b) you have a related degree, but we think you need to strengthen specific areas of your subject knowledge before starting the course.
SKE courses are offered by Reading University in Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, English and Computing. These courses are for candidates whose degree included an element of the subject they intend to teach or who have extensive experience in the subject. They are designed to enable candidates to develop the level of specialist knowledge required to teach their chosen subject. Having an offer of a training place is a prerequisite for being accepted on a SKE course. For further details click here.
The University of Reading run two types of programme:
- A course lasting 16-24 weeks for subject changers or if you need face to face support in improving your subject knowledge.
- An eight-week online programme for teaching GCSE Chemistry, Physics or Biology if you have strong subject knowledge but need to update yourself on the current GCSE syllabus.
By the end of the programme, knowledge of the chosen subject will enable teaching of the subject to GCSE/A level standard.
The following programmes are offered :
- Computer Science